Our OpenCalais Initiative
The OpenCalais initiative supports the interoperability of content and advances Thomson Reuters mission to deliver pervasive, intelligent information.
It builds on the company's investment in semantic technologies and Natural Language Processing to offer free metadata generation services, developer tools and an open standard for the generation of semantic content.
It also provides publishers with an automatic connection to the Linked Data cloud and introduces a global metadata transport layer that helps them leverage content consumers like search engines to reach more downstream readers.
The OpenCalais Service
Found at OpenCalais.com, the OpenCalais service is the fastest, easiest and most accurate way to tag the people, places, companies, facts and events in your content, to increase its value, accessibility and interoperability on the Web.
OpenCalais goes beyond metadata tagging to help automatically enhance your content with Linked Data and open Web assets from Wikipedia, DBpedia, GeoNames, the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), Shopping.com and more.
It also makes it easy for you to use your metadata to share your content with search engines, news aggregators, 'related stories' applications and more.
OpenCalais can help anyone turn text into rich and dynamic 'Smart Media,' connect to the rapidly emerging linked content economy.
What OpenCalais Can Do
OpenCalais can help you:
- Streamline your content operations, automatically meta tagging both new and archived content
- Turn your text into 'Smart Media,' enriched, connected content that is easy to work with, share and integrate
- Enhance: Enrich your content with open data assets from Wikipedia, DBPedia, the Internet Movie Database, Shopping.com and more.
- Engage: Optimize your user experience, increase engagement and drive repeat visits with self-organizing content, including topic pages, personalized filtering, real-time alerts, tagclouds and more.
- Extend: Increase your syndication to next generation search engines, news aggregators, 'related stories' applications and more.
- Connect to the Linked Content Economy, a growing content ecosystem of 'Smart Media,' enriched and interconnected content.
How it Works
- OpenCalais categorizes your document and metatags the people, places, companies, facts and events therein to make it 'machine-readable.'
- OpenCalais then makes connections between the entities in your document and related Linked Data and open Web assets from Wikipedia, the IMDB, Shopping.com and more.
- OpenCalais then returns the metadata to you and gives you a way to share it with search engines, news aggregators, 'related stories' apps and others in the content ecosystem.
The metadata OpenCalais returns gives you the ability to build maps, graphs or networks linking documents to people, companies, places, products, events, geographies and more.
You can then use these maps to improve site navigation, provide contextual syndication, tag and organize your content, create structured folksonomies, filter and de-duplicate news feeds, or analyze content to see if it contains what you want.
A Demonstration Viewer
Visit the OpenCalais Viewer, paste in a news story and hit submit to see what Calais can do. Click on a company name in the left-hand rail of your results to see the OpenCalais company profiles in the Linked Data cloud, and scroll down to the 'SameAs' links to find related entries in DBpedia, etc.
A Growing Ecosystem of Tools & Capabilities
The OpenCalais Service is a powerful capability, but using it to deliver value to real people requires applications and the tools to build them. A major focus of our work has been delivering the tools you need to build great applications, and fostering a community of developers that create and update supporting toolkits, code libraries and more. Take a moment to visit the Showcase and Tools sections of the site.
The "Open" in Calais
The OpenCalais service is free for commercial and non-commercial use. We're sized to handle millions of requests per day and are hosted in the cloud to scale as needed.
To Get Started
If you're a technology or content company and would like help incorporating the Calais capabilities within your product please email us at partners.
If you're a member of the press and have questions or would like to arrange an interview, please contact us at press.
If you have questions please drop us a note.