Investigate the value of your ideas. With Datastream's vast reserves of historical financial content, you can research the correlations and relationships between global economic indicators and asset classes. The power of Datastream is available in the way that works best for you: as a powerful desktop application, through a web browser and lightweight, on-demand plug-in or a datafeed for integration into your own systems.
Why Choose Datastream?
- Comprehensive Time Series Database: Datastream offers access to an unrivaled set of historical financial content. The depth and breadth of data that you can analyze is truly remarkable. Access up to 50 years of history, millions of global instruments and indicators and coverage for 175 countries in 60 global markets.
- Real-time Market Data: Seamlessly integrate streaming real-time market data, economic news, First Call research reports, and more in a single integrated application.
- Unique Content Sets: Leverage a number of unique content sets such as Economic Point In Time, Asset4 ESG data, and University of Michigan Survey of Consumers. In addition, our coverage includes a broad range of indices and aggregates you won’t find anywhere else.
- Powerful Charting: Datastream simplifies the graphical exploration of trends and relationships between series and lets you perform sophisticated analysis across a broad range of financial instruments in one place. Our intuitive interface allows for easy manipulation of content to help test ideas, construct themes, forecast market future conditions, understand cross asset relationships and identify patterns.
- Dynamic Reports: Datastream enables you to build complex models and reports. Data and charts can be linked within Microsoft® Excel, PowerPoint or Word documents so you can create spreadsheets, presentations and documents that can be quickly refreshed with the latest data at the click of a button. Datastream content can also be incorporated with MATLAB and Eviews.
- Automated Publishing and Collaboration: Datastream includes integrated publishing and collaboration tools that streamline your workflow. Our powerful annotation, formatting and dynamic publishing tools increase your efficiency in generating reports and helps deliver your insight to colleagues in real time.
Powerful analysis tools
- Series and Field Selection - Datastream Navigator helps you select the most relevant series from the millions available on the Datastream databases.
- Charting - Making it easier to explore trends and relationships between series, this feature enables you to identify the lag or leads to use for the best correlations between series, so research ideas can be quickly evaluated.
- Datastream Add-in - Build complex models and reports without using the desktop interface. Data and charts can be linked in Microsoft Excel®, PowerPoint®, or Word® to enable you to create spreadsheets, presentations, and documents which can be updated at the click of a button.
Common utilities for Datastream
- Expressions - Create and edit your expressions from within the Datastream desktop or through the Datastream add-ins.
- Lists - Create lists to represent series in portfolios, watchlists, or sets of frequently used economic indicators.
- User-Created Indices - A long-time favorite, the user-created index functionality allows you to create your own list of constituent equities from the full breadth of Datastream's equity universe, define a start date and a currency, and let the system calculate your index. Indices can be set up on an ad hoc basis or maintained automatically, with new values calculated daily.
- User-Created Time Series - Upload your own data series to use in combination with Datastream-maintained series in charts, or for use with Datastream expression facilities.
- Equity Searching - Use Datastream screening to search across the entire global equities database. Up to ten fields such as market value and geographic region can be used to locate and evaluate outstanding performers.
The Datastream desktop
- Series Overviews, standard charts and tabular reports - Easily display series background and summary performance information. View performance charts and key statistics for any of more than 3.5 million instruments and indicators on Datastream.
- Flexible Charting - Plot any financial instrument or indicator of any periodicity or currency against any other.
- Projects - Save your charts and reports in Projects to organize your work and automate tasks without learning a scripting language.