Derwent World Patents Index
Derwent World Patents Index ® (DWPI) is the world's most comprehensive database of enhanced patent documents. Subject experts from Thomson Reuters analyze, abstract and manually index every patent record, making it easier for you to quickly find the information you need to make informed decisions. Whether you are interested in patents for their technical content, for business planning and development, or for protecting the innovations within your own organization — DWPI gives you the most complete picture possible.
DWPI contains over 23.3 million patent families covering more than 51 million patent documents, with coverage from 50 worldwide sources.
DWPI provides unparalleled access to the world's patent literature with full coverage of agricultural and veterinary medicine, electronic/electrical engineering, chemistry, pharmaceuticals and polymers.
The world's most comprehensive collection of professionally abstracted and annotated patent documents
With Derwent World Patents Index, you can:
- Identify the patentability, infringement or validity of an innovation.
- Gain competitive intelligence and monitor industry trends.
- Uncover new markets and market opportunities.
- Identify licensing opportunities.
- Make "build vs. buy" decisions.
- Find solutions to technological problems.
- Research merger or acquisition candidates.
Why choose Derwent World Patents Index?
- Enhanced patent titles and abstracts.
- Unique classification and indexing.
- Flexible search options.
- Wide choice of delivery platforms.
- Get comprehensive, unrivalled global coverage. DWPI covers over 47 patent issuing authorities, with coverage of technology going back to 1963. We pull together worldwide patent documents, which relate to the same invention, and provide that information in a concise Patent Family table, representing the global coverage of the invention sought by the Patent Assignee.
- Search patent information with confidence. We add intellectual value to your patent research — saving searching time and money. Our team of over 350 scientifically-trained editors assesses, classifies, abstracts and codes patent information to ensure that your patent searches locate precisely the information you require, quickly and easily.
- Quickly identify the patents that are important to you. In DWPI, the original patent titles are re-written to make them more meaningful and easier to understand. This allows companies to quickly identify which patents are important to their work, and so save time and money by making the best use of resources.
- Overcome language barriers. Our subject experts write English abstract from patent documents issued in more than 30 foreign languages, detailing the claims and disclosures of the inventions and highlighting the main uses and advantages of the technology. This makes it easy to understand inventions from non-English language sources, such as Japanese.
- See the full history of a patent application. Bibliographic information, provided through DWPI, summarizes the history of the patent application, including details of where the invention was patented, who patented it, and when it was patented.
DWPI on Thomson Innovation
Thomson Innovation is the premier intellectual property (IP) research and analysis solution, uniting unites world’s most comprehensive patent, business and scientific literature content in an intuitive interface. Search DWPI on Thomson Innovation, and get a more holistic view of global innovation that only Thomson Innovation provides by joining the value-added patent data of DWPI with a deep collection of scientific research.
Use the ThemeScape landscape visualization tool to see an at-a-glance view of search results including first-level patent data and value-added patent information from DWPI With the consistency of language used in DWPI's all-English abstracts, the quality of the resulting analysis is far superior to that from a landscape map created with first-level patent data
DWPI on Westlaw
DWPI has been streamlined and reorganized in a new Westlaw database: Derwent International Patent Family File. Westlaw, part of Thomson Reuters, is the premier legal research service, providing editorially enhanced case law and statutory material, legal texts and news and information sources. Derwent International Patent Family File combines DWPI's value-added patent information with the easy-to-use Westlaw interface, search capabilities and linking functionality. You can access Derwent International Patent Family File on Westlaw at www.westlaw.com
DWPI Data Feed
For organizations that already have established information systems in-house, or are planning to create bespoke systems, receiving data direct from DWPI may be the complete answer to your patent needs. Offering a variety of content and formats (text and images), DWPI data is perfect for integration into such systems.
DWPI within Derwent Innovations Index
Derwent Innovations Index SM merges value-added patent information from DWPI with patent citation information from the Patents Citation Index™. Derwent Innovations Index also gives you the option to search related scientific literature through citation links to the Web of Science ®. This unique data set is accessed through an intuitive, user-friendly interface, allowing the user to browse easily between patent records, without having to learn and remember a complicated search language.
DWPI Using Command Language Searching
Search DWPI on Dialog, Questel.Orbit, or STN (Europe, North America, Japan) using the sophisticated and powerful command language, which allows information professionals, and other experienced searchers, to obtain the most accurate search results possible. Current awareness searches, or searches that are run regularly, can be set up to run automatically on any of these services.
+1 800 333 4656
+1 651 244 5375
Europe, Middle East, Africa
+44 20 7433 4000
Tel: +81 3.5218.6500
Tel: 0800 888.8855 (free dial from Japan only)
Fax: +81 3.5218.7840
Australia & New Zealand:
+61 2 8587 7636
China: +86 10 5760 1200
India: +91 11 3044 6419
Korea: +82 2 2076 8100
South East Asia & Pakistan:
+65 6775 5088
Taiwan: +886 2 2503 3034
- DWPI Genetic Engineering Manual Codes
- DWPI Green Technology Manual Codes
- DWPI Nanomaterials Manual Codes