Journal Citation Reports
Journal Citation Reports® offers a systematic, objective means to critically evaluate the world's leading journals, with quantifiable, statistical information based on citation data. By compiling articles' cited references, JCR Web helps to measure research influence and impact at the journal and category levels, and shows the relationship between citing and cited journals. Available in Science and Social Sciences editions.
"JCR is still the only usable tool to rank thousands of scholarly and professional journals within their discipline or subdiscipline. For educated decisions about selecting and deselecting journals in college libraries, and gauging the prestige and influence of journals, it is a very good tool."-- Peter Jacso, Peter's Digital Reference Shelf
With Journal Citation Reports, you can:
- Librarians can support, evaluate and document the value of their library research investments.
- Publishers can determine journals’ influence in the marketplace, to review editorial policies and strategic direction, monitor competitors, and identify new opportunities.
- Authors and editors can identify the most appropriate, influential journals in which to publish.
- Researchers can discover where to find the current reading list in their respective fields.
- Information analysts and bibliometricians can track bibliometric and citation trends and patterns.
Why choose Journal Citation Reports?
- Sort journal data by clearly defined fields: Impact Factor, Immediacy Index, Total Cites, Total Articles, Cited Half-Life, or Journal Title.
- Sort subject category data by clearly defined fields: Total Cites, Median Impact Factor, Aggregate Impact Factor, Aggregate Immediacy Index, Aggregated Cited Half-Life, Number of Journals in Category, Number of Articles in Category.
- View a journal's impact with a five-year Impact Factor trend graph.
- Understand a journal's citation influence and prestige with Eigenfactor® Metrics — five-year metrics that consider scholarly literature as a network of journal-to-journal relationships.
- Visualize impact factor by journal category with impact factor boxplots.
- Rank journals in multiple categories.
- See how journal self-citations affect impact factor.
- Full integration with Web of Knowledge lets you link from Web of Science to JCR Web; from JCR journal records to ulrichsweb.com and recent Current Contents Connect tables of contents; and to and from your library's OPAC.
- In-depth journal coverage: Covers more than 10,100 journals from over 2,600 publishers in approximately 238 disciplines from 84 countries.
- Two editions: The Sciences Edition covers over 8,000 journals; the Social Sciences Edition covers over 2,650.
- Cited and citing journal statistics from 1997 forward.
Formats & Delivery Options
- Web - via JCR Web ; published annually in the summer following the year of coverage
- Web of Knowledge : Quickly find, analyze, and share information in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities with this premier research platform. Whether you're writing a paper, looking for potential collaborators, analyzing research performance or evaluating your library's collection, ISI Web of Knowledge is built to accommodate your style of discovery and analysis.
- Web of Science: Provides quick, powerful access to the world's leading citation databases, with authoritative, multidisciplinary coverage from nearly 9,300 of the highest impact journals worldwide, including Open Access journals. You'll find current and retrospective coverage in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities, with coverage available to 1900.
- Thomson Reuters Article Match Retrieval Service : Article Match Retrieval allows for a real-time lookup of bibliographic metadata such as DOI, author, source title, etc., against the Web of Science database (using the institution's subscription entitlements). Subscribers to Journal Citation Reports can use this service to retrieve links to the JCR record for a given journal.
Tel: +1 800.336.4474
Tel: +1 215.386.0100
Fax: +1 215.386.2911
Europe, Middle East & Africa
Tel: +44 20.7433.4000
Brazil: +55 11 8370 9845
Other Countries: +1 215 823 5674
Tel: +81 3.4589.3100
Tel: 0800 888.8855 (free dial from Japan only)
Fax: +81 3.4589.3240
Australia & New Zealand:
+61 2 8587 7636
China: +86 10 5760 1200
India: +91 11 3044 6419
Korea: +82 2 2076 8100
South East Asia & Pakistan:
+65 6775 5088
Taiwan: +886 2 2503 3034
- JCR Fact Sheet PDF
- Solutions brochure for publishers PDF
- Introducing the Impact Factor
- The Thomson Reuters Impact Factor